Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cleaning Copper Jewelry



I've been making a lot of jewelry using copper findings. I think copper is perfect for autumn accessorizing. I found this great article on how to clean copper jewelry. I'm off to the kitchen to try this...

Tips From Handmadeology:

Supplies: a small glass or ceramic dish, the acidic cleaning agent of your choice (I use lemon juice), a old toothbrush, soap and a drying towel

"Gather your supplies and your copper jewelry. Place one piece of jewelry in the dish and pour the cleaning agent over the item and allow it to set for a short time in the liquid, about 10 to 20 minutes. I usually use a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and turn the copper over every few minutes to assure an even cleaning. NOTE: You may have to change the cleaning liquid a couple of times if the copper is extremely dirty. To move the process along, you may use your old toothbrush to gently scrub into the cracks and crevasses of the design. When you have achieved the desired cleaning, run clear water over the jewelry to rinse. Then use a little soap and the toothbrush to clean just a little more, rinse and pat dry with a towel."

"Please DO NOT leave your jewelry in the acid soak for and extended period of time OR if your copper jewelry has pearls, or any other soft stone DO NOT use any of these ways of cleaning!"

Have a great Day! Thanks for stopping by.
Share this Blog Post :

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your point of view here in your posts.....I'm a new reader but will be back to check out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, It's always nice to hear from folks who enjoy my posts. I sometimes wonder if my thoughts/voice are well received. Thank You for your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete